| Your introductory Guide to Meditation
- There are many types of meditation so choose one you feel comfortable with.
- Ask yourself what you are trying to achieve.
- Make it a habit (if possible) to pick the same time and the same spot everyday.
- Find a spot where you will be undisturbed.
- Make sure it is comfortable, clean and has a nice environment.
- Enhance it with incense, aromatic oils, scented candles etc.
- Play appropriate background or meditation music.
- Wear loose clothing (or loosen clothing). Take off shoes.
- Find a firm but comfortable seat or cushion.
- Have correct lighting (too dark puts you to sleep and too bright strains your eyes)
- Have the correct temperature (too hot is unbearable and too cold makes the mind think of ways to keep warm)
- Do not meditate whilst driving.
- Try not to meditate after a full meal or after too much alcohol.
- Turn off all phones, mobiles, televisions, etc
- Uncross your arms and legs so as not to inhibit the flow of energy.
- Stay alert and if your mind wanders, gently bring it back to your meditation.
- Learn to breathe properly as it helps with the relaxation process.
- Practice release stress and tension.
- Make a conscious decision to relax.
- Avoid coming out of meditation too quickly as it prepares you psychically.
- In Meditation, there is the awareness of the body
the awareness of feelings
the awareness of the state of your mind
the awareness of the contents of the mind